Sunday, September 11th, 2016
Join us for the Journal Jog, an 8K run and walk in Reno, Nevada that passes through Idlewild Park and along the Truckee River. It is family friendly.
This is a great first 8K for new runners. There is a division for pushing strollers. There also are various team categories including one for caterpillars. Costumes are encouraged. This is the 48th annual edition of this event. It is Reno's oldest footrace and an annual rite of passage for many.
Sunday, September 11th, 2016
|Stroller Division:||7:45 am start|
|Runners:||7:50 am start|
|Walkers:||7:55 am start|
|Foster Drive Dash For Kids:||9:30 am start|
|Race178 Great Giveaway Extravaganza:||9:50 am start|
Start/Finish located on Foster Drive adjacent to Reno High School.
The course is the same one that has been used in the most recent years. Participants will start on Foster Drive, loop through Idlewild Park, and travel through neighborhoods in Southwest Reno before finishing back on Foster Drive.
What Everyone Gets:
The opportunity to participate in one of Reno's best traditions, running or walking or pushing a stroller on a scenic and fast course. No hopping up and down off and on sidewalks or bike paths for this one.
Post race refreshments are included.
Seeing your name in the results published in the sports section of the Reno Gazette-Journal in the issue the Monday after the race.
2016 Race178 Great Giveaway Extravaganza
Want to win a free team entry to the 2017 Reno-Tahoe Odyssey Relay Run Adventure? Or an entry into another Race178 race?
We will be giving away the following 8 prizes:
- 2016 Run With The Girls individual entry
- 2017 Club178 membership
- 2017 Leprechaun Race individual entry
- Team entry to 2017 Reno-Tahoe Odyssey Relay Run Adventure
- Team entry to 2017 Capital Odyssey Relay
- Team entry to 2017 Comstock Odyssey Relay
- 2017 Reno 10 Miler individual entry
- 2017 Journal Jog individual entry
What do you have to do to win? The following simple actions:
One, you need to be registered for the 2016 Journal Jog; and
Two, you have to be present to choose your prize when we have the Race178 Great Giveaway Extravaganza after the Journal Jog on Sunday morning September 11. The time will be 9:50 a.m.
We will use the 2016 Journal Jog race numbers as the raffle numbers. Each winner will be allowed to pick from the remaining entries based on what is available. For example, if the first person selected picks the 2017 RTO team entry, that prize will no longer be available and the next person selected will pick from the remaining 7 prizes. This process will continue until the 8th person selected wins the last prize available.
Please note that if you are already registered for the 2017 RTO or the 2016 Run With The Girls, we will refund your entry fee.
So sign up for this year's Journal Jog, stick around for the 2016 Race178 Great Giveaway Extravaganza, and we'll see who takes home the various race entries*.
* Race178 reserves the right to replace one entry for another in the unlikely scenario that we do not put on a race.
In an effort to keep entry fees low, a shirt is not included in your registration. If you would like a shirt, you may order one for an additional $15.
Divisions and Team Categories:
Everyone needs to sign up for the run, walk or stroller division.
If you are signing up as part of a team, then in addition you need to sign up for one of the following twelve team categories. You will need to let us know your team name too.
- 2-person team categories: Spousal Couple, Mother/Son, Mother/Daughter, Father/Son, Father/Daughter or Unspecified Pair. The two participants do not have to run or finish together. Their two times will be added.
- 3 or more person team categories: Corporate, Family, High School, Middle School or Elementary School. The team members do not have to run or finish together. The fastest three times will count.
- The Caterpillar division is for teams of 4 runners or more. They must run the entire course together and they must finish together. In the last 100 yards or so and as they cross the finish line, they must form a single file line and as they cross the line yell "CATERPILLAR!" The time of the last team member will be the one that counts for the team. Please note that we previously required that the caterpillar team members be physically connected to each other for the entire race, but as of 2016 that no longer is a requirement.
Caterpillars compete in the run division only. There is not a caterpillar walk division.
Also, there will be a Caterpillar Costume Contest. So caterpillars are highly encouraged to dress up.
Please note the following rules:
If you plan to run any portion of the course or you think you might run any portion of the course, please enter the Run division.
The Stroller Division is for runners who are pushing a stroller. One stroller per runner. If you plan to walk with your stroller, please enter the walk division and start in the back of the pack of walkers.
There are many age groups for the runners and walkers. They are as follows: 14 and under; 15 to 19; 20 to 24; 25 to 29; 30 to 34; 35 to 39; 40 to 44; 45 to 49; 50 to 54; 55 to 59; 60 to 64; 65 to 69; 70 to 74; 75 to 79; 80 and over.
There will be awards for the top 3 in each of the following divisions:
- Men's Run Overall and by age group
- Women's Run Overall and by age group
- Run Team categories
- Men's Stroller Overall
- Women's Stroller Overall
- Men's Walk Overall and by age group
- Women's Walk Overall and by age group
- Walk Team categories
- Caterpillar Overall (run only)
There will be awards for the best caterpillar and the best non-caterpillar. If you want to be considered, please check in with the Race178 table on race morning.
There is a time limit for this event. We are allowed to use the City of Reno streets for a limited amount of time. The City of Reno will be re-opening the streets as the morning progresses.
By 9:30 a.m. we would like everyone to be finished. That provides the walkers with 1 hour and 35 minutes, allowing them an average of about 19 minutes per mile.
For those who have not completed the entire 8K course by 9:30 a.m., you will need to use the sidewalks and comply with pedestrian and traffic laws. By 9:45 a.m. we will end the official timing. Very soon thereafter we will take down the finish arch and the City of Reno will re-open Foster Drive.
Foster Drive Dash for Kids:
The Foster Drive Dash will be for kids 10 and under. We will have many heats according to age. First race approximately at 9:30 a.m. on Foster Drive. It will be approximately 75 yards. No entry fee. Not a timed event.
Journal Jog Scholarship:
In 2014, Race178 began putting a portion of the net proceeds of the Journal Jog into a scholarship for a high school senior. Race178 posts the application by the beginning of the new calendar year. For example, for the 2014 Journal Jog Race178 posted the application by early 2015. Applications are due April 1. Scholarship recipient(s) will be announced by May 1.