Sunday, September 10, 2017
Join us for the Journal Jog, an 8K run and walk in Reno, Nevada that passes through Idlewild Park and along the Truckee River. It is family friendly. Also this is the 3rd race toward earning your 4-Race Medal and if you are speedy, to score points for the 2017 Point Series.
NEW this year! Every participant will receive a finisher's medal.
This is a great first 8K for new runners. There is a division for pushing strollers. There also are various team categories including one for caterpillars. Costumes are encouraged. This is the 49th annual edition of this event. It is Reno's oldest footrace and an annual rite of passage for many.
Sunday, September 10, 2017
|Running Stroller Division:||7:45 am start|
|Runners:||7:50 am start|
|Walkers including walking strollers:||7:55 am start|
|Foster Drive Dash For Kids:||9:30 am start|
|Race178 Great Giveaway Extravaganza:||9:50 am start|
Start/Finish located on Foster Drive adjacent to Reno High School.
The course is the same one that has been used in the most recent years. Participants will start on Foster Drive, loop through Idlewild Park, and travel through neighborhoods in Southwest Reno before finishing back on Foster Drive.
What Everyone Gets:
- An 8K (4.97 mile) run or walk on a flat and scenic course in old southwest Reno that passes through Idlewild park and along the Truckee River
- This is Reno's oldest footrace, the 49th Annual edition, the race that was around way before all the others came along, so be a part of a Reno tradition
- A goodie bag that includes a treat from Nature's Bakery, and the bag itself is a fun, artistic, re-usable lunch bag from Whole Foods Market
- Race shirt in men's or women's styles (this is optional)
- A fun post-race scene with music, refreshment and a variety of vendors
- MANY age groups and divisions and team categories including a division where you can run pushing your stroller, 2 person teams such as husband wife and mother son, 3 person teams for family and work, and the infamous caterpillar team division where at least 4 people have to be connected and run the entire course together
- Awards to the top 3 in each of the age groups and divisions
- Seeing your name in the results published in the Reno Gazette-Journal the Monday after the race (Race178 will post the results at the event and later Sunday on the race website)
- Free entry into the Great Giveaway Extravaganza held shortly after the Journal Jog (must be present to win) where Race178 raffles an entry into each of their races in the next year including the 2018 Reno-Tahoe Odyssey
- Two costume contests, one for the caterpillar team division and one for the rest of the Journal Jog participants
- Free photos to download from the Race178 Facebook page
- Race specials at various local businesses, click here for details.
- 3rd race toward the 2017 Race178 4-Race Medal
- 3rd chance to score points for the 2017 Race178 Point Series
- Foster Drive Dash for kids 10 and younger. No entry fee.
- A portion of the net proceeds funds the Journal Jog Scholarship, a scholarship for high school seniors who are in the running community and who are planning to go to college.
2017 Race178 Great Giveaway Extravaganza
Want to win a free team entry to the 2018 Reno-Tahoe Odyssey Relay Run Adventure? Or an entry into another Race178 race?
We will be giving away the following 8 prizes:
- 2017 Run with the Girls individual entry
- 2018 Club178 membership
- 2018 Leprechaun Race individual entry
- Team entry to 2018 Reno-Tahoe Odyssey Relay Run Adventure
- Team entry to 2018 Capital Odyssey Relay
- Team entry to 2018 Comstock Odyssey Relay
- 2018 Reno 10 Miler individual entry
- 2018 Journal Jog individual entry
What do you have to do to win? The following simple actions:
One, you need to be registered for the 2017 Journal Jog; and
Two, you have to be present to choose your prize when we have the Race178 Great Giveaway Extravaganza after the Journal Jog on Sunday morning September 10. The time will be 9:50 a.m.
We will use the 2017 Journal Jog race numbers as the raffle numbers. Each winner will be allowed to pick from the remaining entries based on what is available. For example, if the first person selected picks the 2018 RTO team entry, that prize will no longer be available and the next person selected will pick from the remaining 7 prizes. This process will continue until the 8th person selected wins the last prize available.
Please note that if you are already registered for the 2018 RTO or the 2017 Run with the Girls, we will refund your entry fee.
So sign up for this year's Journal Jog, stick around for the Race178 Great Giveaway Extravaganza, and we'll see who takes home the various race entries*.
* Race178 reserves the right to replace one entry for another in the unlikely scenario that we do not put on a race.
In an effort to keep entry fees low, a technical, gender-specific race shirt is not included in your registration. If you would like a shirt, you may order one for an additional $15.
Divisions and Team Categories:
Everyone needs to sign up for the run, walk or stroller division.
If you are signing up as part of a team, then in addition you need to sign up for one of the following twelve team categories. You will need to let us know your team name too.
- 2-person team categories: Spousal Couple, Mother/Son, Mother/Daughter, Father/Son, Father/Daughter or Unspecified Pair. The two participants do not have to run or finish together. Their two times will be added.
- 3 or more person team categories: Corporate, Family, High School, Middle School or Elementary School. The team members do not have to run or finish together. The fastest three times will count.
- The Caterpillar division is for teams of 4 runners or more. They must run the entire course together and they must finish together. They should be loosely connected to each other so it is clear who is part of the team. So there is no doubt about their caterpillar status when they finish, they should yell "CATERPILLAR" when they cross the line. The time of the last team member will be the one that counts for the team. Please note that in 2016 we did not require that the teammates be physically connected to each other.
Please note the following rules:
If you plan to run any portion of the course or you think you might run any portion of the course, please enter the Run division.
The Running Stroller Division is for runners who are running and pushing a stroller. One stroller per runner. If you plan to walk with your stroller, please enter the Walk Division and start in the back of the pack of walkers.
We have preserved the history of this race so there are many age groups for the runners and walkers. They are as follows: 14 and under; 15 to 19; 20 to 24; 25 to 29; 30 to 34; 35 to 39; 40 to 44; 45 to 49; 50 to 54; 55 to 59; 60 to 64; 65 to 69; 70 to 74; 75 to 79; 80 and over.
There will be awards for the top 3 in each of the following divisions:
- Men's Run Overall and by age group
- Women's Run Overall and by age group
- Run Team categories
- Men's Running Stroller Overall
- Women's Running Stroller Overall
- Men's Walk Overall and by age group
- Women's Walk Overall and by age group
- Walk Team categories
- Caterpillar Overall (run only)
There will be 2 awards, one for the best caterpillar and one for the best non-caterpillar. If you want to be considered, please check in with the Race178 table on race morning.
There is a time limit for this event. We are allowed to use the City of Reno streets for a limited amount of time. The City of Reno will be re-opening the streets as the morning progresses.
By 9:30 a.m. we would like everyone to be finished. That provides the walkers with 1 hour and 35 minutes, allowing them an average of about 19 minutes per mile.
For those who have not completed the entire 8K course by 9:30 a.m., you will need to use the sidewalks and comply with pedestrian and traffic laws. By 9:45 a.m. we will end the official timing. Very soon thereafter we will take down the finish arch and the City of Reno will re-open Foster Drive.
Foster Drive Dash for Kids:
The Foster Drive Dash will be for kids 10 and under. We will have many heats according to age. First race approximately at 9:30 a.m. on Foster Drive. It will be approximately 75 yards. No entry fee. Not a timed event.
Journal Jog Scholarship:
A portion of the net proceeds from this event are used to fund a $500 scholarship for high school seniors who are in the running community and who are planning to go to college. Race178 started this scholarship in the 2014-2015 school year. Since then Race178 has awarded 5 scholarships for a total of $2,500.
In early 2018, Race178 will post the application for the 2017-2018 school year. Applications will be due by April 1, 2018. Race178 will make a decision by May 1, 2018.
For more information and to learn how to apply, please click here.