Yes, you may run or walk your 5K (3.1 miles) ANYWHERE that you want. How SWEET is that?! Pick a spot that is flat and/or downhill and run a PR! Maybe you go to your favorite running path or trail and do it with a friend.
Here are some suggestions:
- Run out and back on a section of the Crooked Mile path through Idlewild Park. For a very long stretch of this path, every quarter mile there is a quarter mile marker. Or run out and back on the path next to the Southeast Connector Boulevard on the east side of the Truckee Meadows from Sparks to south Reno.
- The path around the Sparks Marina is about 1.9 miles long. So complete one loop and half of a second loop and you will almost be there.
- The combo of paved paths and sidewalks around Virginia Lake add up to about one mile. Run 3 laps and you will nearly be good to go.
- Reno Running Company will have a 5K route as one of their distances at each of be their store runs on race weekend. Saturday March 13 8 a.m. at their Sparks store and at their Eclipse Running store, and Sunday March 14 at 8 a.m. at their south Reno store.
What about the actual course of the Leprechaun Race that we usually use for this event?
We do not have permission to put on a race there this year. If you choose this location, watch out for speeding cars driving around the busy Midtown and Wells Avenue districts.
Wherever you run or walk your 5K this year, please remember the following points:
- Pick a safe location. Use the pedestrian paths, sidewalks and bike lanes. Don’t get out in the streets.
- You will be on your own and operating at your own risk. We will not have any staff or volunteers looking out for your well being.
- Follow CDC and local guidelines with regard to running or walking in a group.